Re: suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:16:35 +0100

> > This would allow to _really_ easily export bundles on the web or per
> > email or the like. "Hey, just drop my app [.app.zip] into your
> > Applications folder and you're ready to go."
>
> I like the idea of having something similar to disc images (.img) on Mac OS X.
> I don't care if they are zipped or just tarred or whatever, I just like their
> ease of use. But this mainly works for apps and tools which do not have a lot
> of special dependencies and I doubt it would be a good solution for the core
> system installation process.

True. But once you've got Workspace up, this /should/ become very easy for the
user.

Double-click on the fat-binary package you've just downloaded and install a(n
optionally) slimmed-down app or tool into the right place, asking which domain*
should go into - that is about as hard as it should be IMO.

[* not using that terminology of course, perhaps saying "for everyone on this
system, or just you" etc]

Drag and drop the package into a directory and be prompted whether they want
to install it there if it's one of the magic directories in the
GNUSTEP_PATHLIST. If they don't have permission to write, offer the option
to install it in other domains or to raise privileges to install it there.

This should all be fairly tightly integrated into whatever Workspace you
use.

> On Rhapsody there was an installer tool/script which you could use for
> installing pkg's via CLI. Maybe this is the best way to go in this situation?

Agree.

Peter