Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:12:51 +0100

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 12:34  Uhr, Helge Hess wrote:

Philippe C.D.Robert wrote:
Of course, I will definitely have a look at it - the last thing I want is to reinvent the wheel.

Then, you should also take a look at RedCarpet:

  http://developer.ximian.com/projects/rcd/

It's pretty cool, does all the management and updating of almost any RPM and Debian based system and can be accessed using XML-RPC (as demonstrated by the Python cmdline client "rc") !

I know that it is cool, but this requires RPMs which is not an (good) option on *BSD, Windows or other systems. Also what I am looking for is a simple solution which only requires GNUstep Base to work. It doesn't require tons of nifty features - it should just work and solve the basic problem of installing/updating a working GNUstep desktop in a few steps only.

At least for bootstrapping and keeping the "core" system up-to-date this should be pretty nice. For GNUstep I'm missing the capability to select library combos contained in the packages, but maybe this could be resolved at a higher level (eg having a RPM/DEB naming scheme for files).

For bootstrapping GNUstep itself I think a set of RPMs or other hostsystem native packages will do it (for now). I see the problem more on the 'apps side', I know of at least a few people who installed GNUstep and expected sth like NEXTSTEP afterwards. This is what I want to address with the 'desktop' thingy.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip