Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:21:51 +0100

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 06:07  Uhr, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
Using RPMs or packages or whatever for the GNUstep core stuff seems to
be the best way of installing GNUstep itself. This requires some effort
as many different platforms have to be supported, but it can be done.
The last real issue is IMHO - as discussed in a separate thread - the
GNUstep.sh file. This is really a problem as for "users" it is not easy or maybe even not possible to modify say /etc/profile, hence we have to
find a good solution here, the sooner the better!

You could probably safely assume that the user can write to /etc if she
can install rpm packages. You could simply put GNUstep.sh in
/etc/profile.d and it will be sourced when a user logs in. I'm not sure
if this also works on SuSE but it should work on at least RedHat/Mandrake.
Also most of the incompatibilites between different rpm based
distributions come from things like SysV init scripts, man pages, info
files, directory layout and Gnome/KDE integration most of which may not
apply to GNUstep.

What I meant with my posting is that many users are not able/do not want to mess with stuff like /etc/profile although they have the rights to do so, while they of course can use gnorpm or any other RPM tool if not perform "rpm -Uvh bla.rpm".

But the issue is a more fundamental one, since - as you say - this works differently on different systems. So if it can be done in a more elegant and transparent way then we should IMHO try hard to make this happen. Even if it is just a post installation script which adds the appropriate command to the appropriate file.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip