Re: GNUstep usability under win32

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep usability under win32
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:29:47 +0000

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 07:01  am, Andreas Bohne wrote:

i also tried the defaults commands to set my time zone, but he creates no
file is the Defaults directory

I had the same problem when I first tried GNUstep under MinGW some time ago. It turned out then that I had not installed iconv (which was declared as optional IIRC). Under MinGW, iconv is necessary to read/write the defaults database, because it provides the needed UTF-8 encoding.

I think this was true of the 5.1 release, but it is no longer the case with the current (5.2) release. In the current code, the bug writing the data is fixed (so it writes ascii as it should), and there is built-in support for utf-8 anyway.