Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:42:14 +0100

Helge Hess wrote:

> Chris Hanson wrote:
> > Here's something I've been wondering.  Has anyone written an Objective-C
> > preprocessor and runtime that's compatible with GNUstep, but which
> > generates ANSI C code that can be built in (say) Visual Studio or
> > another ANSI C compiler?
>
> I talked with Nicola about that at FOSDEM. I also think that a
> preprocessor would be very useful, not only for Windows but also for
> Linux and Solaris with alternative compilers (like the Sun compiler or
> the Intel compiler).
>
> Problem is, that to write such a preprocessor you need to implement a
> full ANSI-C parser which is not exactly trivial ... Maybe one could use
> LCC as a basis.

FWIW, I once wrote a mostly complete c parser using gsantlr (it should
handle all the interesting, ie. tricky, parts :). Adapting it to work as
a preprocessor probably wouldn't be very difficult. If anyone is
seriously interested in doing this, I could clean it up a bit and make
it available.

- Alexander Malmberg