Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:02:20 +0100

Pete French wrote:

> > So, finally, we have to decide: Do we need horizontal menus in GNUstep
> > library or not? There is 2 ways:
>
> How does removing the code affect, for example, menus on a Windows
> system ? I havent yet persuaded GNUstep to run under Windows I have
> to admit (will give it yet another bash in the near future) but I
> am assuming it uses vertical menus the way it does on X11. The Apple
> implementation under Windows used horizontal menus along each window - does
> this require hhorizontal menu code in GNustep if we are going to do it "right"
> or is that irrelevent as we would need to use some magic in the Windows API
> to do those menus anyway ?

As I understand it, OPENSTEP on win32 worked by mapping the AppKit
classes to win32 widgets, in which case it makes sense to map NSMenu* to
standard, horizontal windows menus. GNUstep does not work this way; we
map everything to our DPS backend interface instead, so our menus would
be the same everywhere.

- Alexander Malmberg