Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:07:21 +0100

On 24.03.2003 00:03:19 Serg Stoyan wrote:

>  I suppose, that horizontal menus in OS X is for MacOS compatibility
>  rather than usability. That is, for easy moving old MacOS users to OS
X.

no, it's also for usability. Do you know Fitt's Law
(<http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html>)?

Since the mac style menu resides on the top EDGE of the screen it is
easier to hit. The best position according to Fitt's law is the point
where your mouse is right now (means context menu), but here you don't see
the options you have at a glance (which is IMHO important for a novice
user).

greetings, Lars