Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:17:58 +0100

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Serg Stoyan wrote:
[snip]
So, finally, we have to decide: Do we need horizontal menus in GNUstep
library or not? There is 2 ways:

1. We decide to leave horizontal menus -- I'll finish implementation.
2. We decide to remove -- I'll remove horizontal menus code.

There needs to be _one_ standard menu style that application developers
can design for; what is a good choice of and layout of menu items in a
vertical menu is very awkward in a horizontal menu. Having more than one
in -gui will, at best, result in one being the de facto standard and all
the others not really being supported, though it's more likely that
we'll just end up with a big mess.

If some want to use a theme bundle that provides horizontal menus,
that's ok, but this is not a standard or supported case, and it's not
what apps are designed for, so they will lose consistency.

Hello Alex,

I almost agree... I think it will become important to support win32 menus for ease of porting existing OPENSTEP Enterprise implementations and user acceptance of a menu scheme differing from all other apps on that plattform. I believe the actual menu structure is encoded in .nib files, so they will have to be touched anyways when porting. This could have been a reason why projects always needed seperate Wiindows/Next-style nib files so we would also need to create seperate .gorm files for horizontal menus I guess... (Hmm actually I'm not so sure they were sructured diffrently, I'll have to check again.) Given Renaisance, a mechanism for defining portable menus seems in reach, so I think it would be great if GNUstep could find some maintainable way to support horizontal menus. But I must agree that we shouldn't burden maintainablity for the standard GNUstep menu scheme unproportionatly.

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers,
Dave