Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:50:46 -0500

Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:

Personally I opt for having horizontal menus.  But well, I only volunteer
implementing this if I people agree on restructering the NSMenuView
hierarchy.

I would like to see horizontal menus, as well. If these could be provided for without causing too much trouble within -gui, that would be wonderful. If it cannot be done, then I'd like to, at least, see the possibility to modify the -gui behaviour with an additional bundle.

I know that menu placement is a VERY touchy subject, and many of those that are die-hard NeXT/NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/OpenStep folk certainly don't wish to see horizontal menus. I know there are some who have found the horizontal menus in OS X to be more beneficial. This is not an easy answer, really.

An additional thought would be of which menu type would be seen as more comfortable for users. NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP are no longer in common use (and, arguably, were never really all that common), and OS X does not use vertical menus. Nor do any other environments that I'm currently familiar with. I'm not saying that because no one else is using it, we shouldn't. I'm just pointing out that users might not be as comfortable with vertical menus.

When it comes right down to it, maybe providing hooks for modifying the menu behaviour via a third party bundle, and allowing for modifiers within the code to specify where in a menu one might find an entry (such as "Quit" going within an application menu, or what have you).

I'm unable to give a better answer than that, but I don't want to see the vertical menu behaviour negate the ability to modify that menu behaviour.

Just my opinion.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org