Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:14:16 +0100

"Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:
[snip]
> But to remain on-topic, the question was whether to keep support for
> horizontal menus in gnustep-gui or not. I also think it is important to
> keep this support if we ever want to integrate GNUstep into native GUIs
> just like OPENSTEP Enterprise did it

I can see that having an implementation of AppKit on top of win32 would
be useful in some cases, but the approach of mapping down to native
widgets is very different from how -gui and -back are designed. Even
aside from the mess for application developers, I think that trying to
force this approach into -gui in addition to the current design is a
very bad idea. IMHO, integrating with any particular native gui is not
within the scope of gnustep-gui.

> - nobody would want to use an
> application which does not integrate seamlessly into the system's UI
> (just like using old Mac OS 9 apps on Mac OS X is horrible due to the
> different UI).

This depends on the quality of the native interface. _I_ would rather
have an inconsistent interface with OPENSTEP-style menus (or even
macos-style) than use windows-style menus on win32, for example. :)

- Alexander Malmberg