Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' question

From: Dirk Theisen
Subject: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' question
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:19:39 +0200 (Europe/Berlin)

Hi, Chris!

 # cd /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
 # make install clean

It should also configure the system to run the demons necessary and
source GNUstep.sh in sh and csh compatible shells.

Yep, ports do that, except for adding the sourcing of GNUstep.sh on a
per user level.

This sounds good. Does it install the GNUstep sources so I can just 'cvs update' those to update to the most recent cvs version and recompile? This is something I would like.

Unfortunately, as a GNUstep newbie, I do not know about which systems support GNUstep with packages and which require more work to get it going.

In contrast to the others contributed to this thread, I have no particular preference for an open source *nix. I just want one that runs on my hardware and that GNUstep best and is easy to install and set up.

What do you guys recommend for an oldish PCI PowerMac (with a G3 upgrade card)? I once had a YellowDog Linux on it but that was really bad (starting with no german Keyboard support).

Greetings,
  Dirk