Re: Shared application menu

From: Dirk Olmes
Subject: Re: Shared application menu
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:16:46 +0200

On 2003-10-10 15:14:21 +0200 Banlu Kemiyatorn <id@project-ile.net> wrote:

Argh! Make my eyes stop bleeding :-)
I don't like the concept of using the top of the screen for a toolbar. IMHO the toolbar should belong to the window / app that's using it but I guess that's the same holy war as with menus. I would absolutely hate to lose the top x pixels of the screen for a toolbar that would even be *blank* (i.e. gray space) in a lot of cases.

You are right, I was thinking of that before I post that too. But after looking at my current desktop I found that most of my applications has tool bar. And to advocate 'tool base environment' idea, I think that every window should try to implement some tools.

I'm not against a toolbar in general!

The tool bar may not be that waste,
for instant, you can simply hide it if there is no tool available. (Yes I said that and realized sliding bar sucks in many case) Or you can atleast has a small GNUstep logo placed where the Apple has on OS X so the empty area isn't too lonely.

The bleeding eyes comment was more targeted at the proposed location of the
toolbar: top of the screen. Or did I misunderstand your original post in that
respect?

The most interesting part of tool bar to me is that user can rearrange items to suite their best preferences, so it supposed to be accessed more often than any kind of menu (vertical and horisontal) while taking
full advantage from edge's screen according to fitt's laws.

Yes, I like that configurability it could be taken even further: why not let
the poweruser make her own toolbar buttons and attach custom actions to it.
StepTalk comes to mind immediately ...

-dirk