Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:54:14 +0200

Maybe we should get more core developers. Would it be an idea to open up for more people to help on the core. Maybe by not requiring them to sign over the copyright to the FSF

Just an idea.

Dennis

Ian Jones wrote:

Savannah works just fine, but maybe it could be publicised a bit more, for instance I never knew about it until a couple of months ago. The first and only bug I posted on there is the one about the recursive thread locking that seemed to spark this whole conversation. I think you'll find people don't mind spending a couple of minutes to make a bug report as long as they feel something is going to be achieved by it. I got a little frustrated because after adding the bug to savannah along with a backtrace it it was dismissed by one developer before Alex Malmberg took a look at it and managed to come up with a fix which stopped the recursive thread locking I was experiencing.

I'm also not against testing frameworks and the like, but I don't think they are any substitute for people using and developing with GNUstep, it seems like the application developers are the ones who are suffering most. They discover bugs in GNUstep and either have to fix them themselves and get a gnustep developer to apply their fixes or wait for a developer to get around to looking into the problem they are experiencing. Often these problems make the application and or the developer of the application look bad when in fact it is not their fault their application is crashing or exhibiting strange behaviour. In the past I have wondered how many people who develop gnustep applications or GNUstep actually use these applications in every day life. I have thought this to myself on a number of occasions when things just don't work as they should or fail to work at all. Often it has felt like gnustep apps are nothing more than something to play with on a sunday afternoon. I know this isn't the case for all applications, but it is the feeling given by some.