Re: GNUStep Window Manager

From: René Berber
Subject: Re: GNUStep Window Manager
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:26:46 -0500

On 2003-10-21 05:35:07 -0500 Nuno Donato <tuggyX@zmail.pt> wrote:

> I'm new to this GNUStep stuff but i'm enjoying it so far.
> I'm posting this to try to clear a doubt, Window Maker is like the "official"
> window manager fo GNUStep, right?
> So why doesn't it integrate nicely with GWorkspace? If i run GWorkspace i get
> separate workspaces,

Workspace.app tries to be everything and in this case duplicates some
functionality that windowmaker, using Fiend (a.k.a. Clip), already has but
other window managers don't have.

> that is, if I change from workspace 1 to workspace 2 in
> WindowMaker, GWorkspace completly disappears.

That's an option on windowmaker.  If you want Workspace or any other
application to (sort of) appear on all the workspaces then just right click
over the title bar and go into the "options" sub-menu, in there there is a
"omnipresent" option which works for each window sepparately, it doesn't work
for menues at all.

> So its like i have 4
> workspaces(from GWorkspace) inside workspace 1 of WindowMaker :/
> Also, they both seem to draw the desktop/background.

I don't use that functions on Workspace so it doesn't interfere with
windowmaker (which handles themes better anyway).

> And what do you think of using AfterStep as a wm for GNUStep?

Haven't used it in a long time, it wasn't worth the bother back then (the only
wm that comes close to the real thing -- NeXTstep/Openstep is windowmaker) and
I don't think it has been improved.

Regards.
--
René Berber