Re: GNUStep Window Manager

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUStep Window Manager
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:56:41 -0700

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:35:07 +0100
Nuno Donato <tuggyX@zmail.pt> wrote:
> I'm new to this GNUStep stuff but i'm enjoying it so far.
> I'm posting this to try to clear a doubt, Window Maker is like the
> "official" window manager fo GNUStep, right?

As long as you continue to use the quotes around 'official', yes, this
is correct ;-)

> So why doesn't it integrate nicely with GWorkspace? If i run

Because, as others pointed out, WMaker doesn't really have anything to
do with GNUstep -- and GWorkspace tries to implement features that may
not be available using other window managers.

> GWorkspace i get separate workspaces, that is, if I change from
> workspace 1 to workspace 2 in WindowMaker, GWorkspace completly
> disappears. So its like i have 4 workspaces(from GWorkspace) inside
> workspace 1 of WindowMaker :/ Also, they both seem to draw the
> desktop/background.

See above. The main problem with GWorkspace is, that, while it is a
tremedous work, it's more and more becoming something like a whole
suite, much like Mozilla and friends, that tries to do everything.

> And what do you think of using AfterStep as a wm for GNUStep?

Depends on which AfterStep you're referring to.

The current version (1.8 I believe) sucks. Period.

I've tried the beta version of 2.0 which is a bit better, but apart from
the fact that it pissed me off by trying to "call home" -- ie. sending
the developer specific information about the hardware and OS I was using
WITHOUT TELLING through email using my account WITHOUT MY CONSENT --
it's almost as unusable as older versions. There's too many buttons and
things to fiddle with during runtime, while the code doesn't seem to
have changed in years.

Now, if you're referring to AfterStep Classic -- that one would have
been a good foundation to build a GNUstep-aware window manager on. IIRC,
Widow err Window Maker was originally based on AfterStep Classic...
'nuff said.

--
Chris