RE: RSS/RDF Aggregator

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: RSS/RDF Aggregator
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:35:41 -0700

nicolas@roard.com <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> That's true ... but it's important to generally stick with OpenStep/NeXT
> point of view -- that's what we want, no ? not a KDE clone...

That depends on who we are...
I have been viewing GNUstep as a high (highest?) quality library
that can be used for writing many kinds of applications, not just NeXT
clones. I even have some remote ideas of writing "a KDE clone" - a further
development of some KDE ideas (complete vapour, though).

> What I heard against VFS was mostly about the visual representation for
> the file manager : ie, that it could leads to replace GWorkspace.app UI
> with a browser-metaphor UI.

Not to replace, but to compete. It is dreamed of as another app.
Do you think it's wrong or inappropriate?

I like browser-metaphor UI. This is because I _understand_ it, while I
do not understand GWorkspace metaphor. I do not understand GWorkspace
metaphor
because 1. I have been unable to make it work for me by a simple
installation
and 2. I never knew how does it work when fully configured so whether it
worth
the effort to make it work properly.

I have to praise KDE in that respect: they exposed their main ideas in the
first beta1, and when they moved to konqueror they had a separate website
with thorough explanation on how was it supposed to work.

I would very much appreciate some explanation on GWorkspace planned
UI architecture: how do I go from file to viewing its content to editing
its content and back, what are inspectors, how to make them work, which
exist,
which are planned, where is a command line, etc. If I just missed a link
please
point me to it.

Thank you,
Tima.