Re: vfs Was: RSS/RDF Aggregator

From: ibotty
Subject: Re: vfs Was: RSS/RDF Aggregator
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:48:59 +0200

Jeff Teunissen wrote:

> ibotty wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> [quoting Nicolas Roard]
>> > My opinion here is that I agree with the idea that GWorkspace
>> > shouldn't be the placeholder for all URL (as konqueror is). But in the
>> > same time, it would be great to have a unified method to /open/ URLs
>> > with the right application !
>>
>> this is mimetype-handling, isn't it. this is unrelated to vfs.
>> yes, i understand, that this was, what the thread was about, but
>> nevertheless.
>
> No, it's not MIME type handling. It's regarding URI schemas. An app
> provides support for the http: schema, another the ftp: schema, another
> the gopher: schema. MIME handling is separate.

in my understanding, an application can only handle specific tasks (think of
unix).
where the data for this task comes from, does not matter for the task. at
least it should not. no single app can handle the whole http: schema,
neither can one handle all of ftp: or webdav:, it can only handle files,
that they access through above means.
i understand that a (theoretical) fish: (as in midnight commander, and kde)
ioslave may have only one kind of application, that is suitable, but
nevertheless.

so, mimetypes are not totally unrelated to this matter...

~ibotty