Re: vfs Was: RSS/RDF Aggregator

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: vfs Was: RSS/RDF Aggregator
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:25 -0400

ibotty wrote:

[snip]

> [quoting Nicolas Roard]
> > My opinion here is that I agree with the idea that GWorkspace
> > shouldn't be the placeholder for all URL (as konqueror is). But in the
> > same time, it would be great to have a unified method to /open/ URLs
> > with the right application !
>
> this is mimetype-handling, isn't it. this is unrelated to vfs.
> yes, i understand, that this was, what the thread was about, but
> nevertheless.

No, it's not MIME type handling. It's regarding URI schemas. An app provides
support for the http: schema, another the ftp: schema, another the gopher:
schema. MIME handling is separate.

> my interface worked with (simple) bundles. this can surely be extended
> to services, if need be, but services are, afaik, a user-interface not
> neccessarily a programming interface. (me, as user, would be annoyed by
> 20+ services, that provide only ioslaves)

Services were used in all kinds of ways. One way was to load unsupported
image types, by having a service that could load various image types and
output them to the pasteboard as TIFF, which would then be extracted by the
AppKit and displayed. These particular services were called image filters.