Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:27:05 +0000

On 2 Feb 2004, at 15:06, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

I think it would be good to employ the test driven development methodology
for developing GNUstep.
Test driven development generally ensures a high qualtity of the source
across several platforms (because everybody is able to run the relevant
test on her/his platform of choice and send the test failures back). For
instance the GCC project employs test driven development in the form of
DejaGnu: If you build GCC you can optionally run 'make -k check' to run a
test suite for GCC and send the results back to the GCC developers.

Now there are several ways to do test driven development, on the ObjC side of this world for instance DejaGnu (http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/)
and ocunit (http://sente.epfl.ch/software/ocunit/). Anybody here knows
which would be better suited for GNUstep library development? I hope this
will initiate a fruitfull discussion which results in the use of test
driven development for GNUstep (in whatever form).

I wrote GNUstep-Guile/Greg as a replacement for DejaGnu because I found
it so horrible to use for testing the GNUstep libraries ... I haven't used ocunit.

The only real problem with the existing testsuite is that it uses guile ... which is better than the tcl stuff used by dejagnu, but suffers from being a language which is unfamiliar to everyone working on GNUstep (and I include myself).

I think if you want all developers to be able to trivially run the testsuite as part of the development process, you need to write the test stuff using only make, and shell scripts and ObjC code, and I think you need to have it all copyrighted by the FSF so that it can be distributed as part of the GNUstep core. If the tests aren't provided as part of the developer distribution, they probably won't be
used by many people.

While I would approve of such a project, I have the impression that there
would be opposition from others.