Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:08:30 +0000

[totally off topic, but I have a fascination with language]

> Google "object-orientated":  Results 1 - 100 of about    36,600
> Google "object-oriented"  :  Results 1 - 100 of about 4,000,000
> That's a ratio of about 1:100.

Seriously ? Until today I dont think I had ever heard the
term 'object-oriented' Certainly I've never heard it spoken
(unless my brain heard what it expected rather than what was
said)

I suspect that the google results are just a refelection of the
higher proprotion of US vs Rest-Of-World english speakers on the
internet though. I just did a quick poll off the multinationals in
the office and the only person who chose "oriented" was our local
American web developer.

If we have to make a choice - well it should probably have it phrased the
way most of the attendee's at FOSDEM will speak english. Which is preseumably
euro-english, so we should stick with whatever was written originaly.

-bat. [incidentally the dictionary says the two words have subtley different
       meanings, which is also interesting...]