Re: Application roles

From: Raffael Herzog
Subject: Re: Application roles
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:17:24 +0100

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:56:27 +0100 (CET), Peter Cooper <comrade@obverse.com.au> wrote:

The modern Windows right-click approach offering an "open with..." option
seems adequate for most users who are not willing to open command lines.

Well, GNUstep uses a different approach which is by far superior. I always keep three menus torn off which are placed around the FileViewer's main window: Inspectors, Views and History. Like this, it's a two-click/one-double-click thing to open a file with another application than the default:

1. Select the file
2. In the Inspectors menu, click Tools
3. Double-click the application's icon you'd like to open the file with

No need to copy broken UI concepts from Windoze.

It seems clear to me that we are talking about a couple of different kinds
of things:

1. MIME type database

My first reaction to this is: GNUstep is the first environment where I actually use default applications. Why? Because I don't need to fiddle with that comlicated MIME-type stuff. With KDE, GNOME etc. I simply use the command line or the File->Open menu to open files -- just because it's by far too much work to setup default applications, in the end I'm faster like this.

OTOH, there's a valid point about MIME types: The internet. The internet uses MIME types extensively, so GNUstep should somehow honour this. My suggestion would be to add an extension to Info-gnustep.plist:

NSTypes = (
  {
    NSIcon = FileIcon_gif;
    NSName = "GIF Image";
    NSUnixExtensions = ( gif );
    GSMIMETypes = ({ "image/gif" = (gif); });
  }
);

Like this, make_services could build a MIME-to-GNUstep type mapping. The first entry in the MIME-to-GNUstep mapping could be used as default to be used if the file extension of the attachement/URL doesn't match any of the registered extensions for a specified type. E.g., if a gif image attached to a mail is called foo.image and the user wants to save it from GNUMail, offer to save it as foo.gif, because "gif" is the first listed extension for the MIME type image/gif. If the user wants to open it with the default application, simply determine the GNUstep type using the same method and open it with it's default application.

cu,
   Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference, but in practice, there is.

Raffael Herzog - herzog@raffael.ch - www.raffael.ch - ICQ #67961355