Application roles

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Application roles
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:21:57 +0100

Hi,

Today on #gnustep was a discussion about presenting applications to the users
in some nicer way. Besides idea of providing 'Display name' in application
information plists, I had an idea of 'Application Roles' that I would like to
share and hear your comments.

What is an application role? Nothing more and nothing less than a short
(one-two words) description what application does: 'Mailer', 'Web Browser',
'Text Editor'. Each developer should provide this role in a .plist and
Workplace.app (GWorkspace) should display all application in one of the
following ways:

Mozilla.app, Firebird.app, Opera.app (as it does currently) - honestly, would
you know what those applications do? So what about using 'role' definition when
displaying application name:
Web Browser - Mozilla
Web Browser - Firebird
Or for users with single variant just: 'Web Browser'

In addition to this, 'roles' can have more advantages in the future. With roles
we can have 'central registry' of 'default applications'. Defautls database can
be easily used for that. In that registry, user can (either using some
DefaultsEditor.app or by any other way) define default applications for
specific roles, like GNUMail for Mailer and Mozilla for Web Browser. What is it
good for? If any other application wants to use mailing services, it justs asks
for default application with role 'Mailer'. Or if any application wants to
point an user to the web for some app-specific information, it can use 'Web
Browser' default application, or DTP.app can forward user to Cenon as default
'Vector Editor' applictaion for inserting some images into a document, etc..
You get the idea.

What do you think?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi