Re: Frameworks integration

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:23:12 -1100

On 2004-02-27 17:48:08 +0000 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:10:25 +0100
Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:
Nobody knows about gscrypt, gsldap en SMBKit and it is always a guess
if they work with the released GNUstep version(s).

One reason, why people do not know about them is, BECAUSE they are part
of dev-libs/ and do not have their own web site for "advertisement".

I started working on KoCrypt because I needed/wanted some crypto classes
at that point in time.
Much later I discovered that dev-libs/ already had gscrypt (though it
didn't provide (all) the cryptos I was looking for) ...

Well, I agree that the major problem is, yet again, "marketing" or visibility. Many projects aren't well known (just take GNUstepWeb/GDL2 for example), and even GNUstep itself isn't really well known (many people at fosdem thought we were
a fork of windowmaker... -- sigh --)

I don't care so much about the inclusion of theses toolkits in the cvs -- I think it will be practical and a good thing, at least for basic components as xml, but
that's not the main point (plus others frameworks won't go in
gnustep cvs anyway).
What's important imho is to have them highlighted as "official" (or at least
recommanded) framework for GNUstep developments, and adversise them as
much as possible; at least what's in dev-libs should be cited in evidence
on the website..

--
Nicolas Roard