Re: Frameworks integration

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:28:09 -1100

On 2004-02-27 18:54:56 +0000 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:

Second, Window Maker says "it was originally designed for GNUstep".
That may well be -- originally. But since then, they moved off to
God knows where...
And third, they DO look similar.
yes. Which could be interesting in the end for gnustep, as many people
were in contact with WindowMaker look and feel and loved it...

OTOH, take a look at comments on OSNews (or any other site that sports
an article about GNUstep for that matter) A lot of comments are about
the "look" and bitch about the "boxy" appearance.

Ironically, the same people use KDE or GNOME... ;-)

Well, I was speaking about the whole dock and menu experience...
I think that many people still like WindowMaker feel, so I think that could still be
a good thing for gnustep. But yes, many people focus on the look...
I also think that many people don't care that much about the look, and moreover, that they could prefer the NeXT look over flashy user interface; the problem is that they are then a very silent majority :) and that they don't know gnustep. Plus, developers/"power users" tends to be a vocal majority and they wants flashy stuff.. that's a problem for us because we *need* devs, early adopters, etc., to
propagate information about gnustep.
To sum up, I don't think themes will be important in the end, but strangely we need them now to be "considered" as a valid solution by many. Strange world :)

--
Nicolas Roard