Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:51:11 +0100

On 01.03.2004, at 21:15, Martin Häcker wrote:
Do you all think that it would be a good thing to bring those two implementations together in some form or another?

Yes, of course. NGObjWeb (the relevant part of SOPE) as well as gnustep-web are WO clones, so exactly the same thing from an API perspective. So instead of profiling and working on *two* frameworks (with one of them already being extensivly profiled and debugged), just focus on one.

Basically the same reasoning behind dumping libFoundation in favor of gnustep-base in OGo.

I'd like a high-quality open-source implementation with all the features - though it might be too much work to do this cleanly in a short time.

What exactly are the features available in gnustep-web, but not in SOPE (SOPE itself has a lot more features than WO, like WebDAV and XML-RPC support or WOxTemplateBuilders). As far as I know, SOPE should cover anything available in gnustep-web. Given that SOPE is less strict on copyright assignment, we could easily port over any enhancements done in gnustep-web yet still have the mature core.

So, I don't think that we would need a lot of time to merge efforts. And even if it takes some, its still worth the effort due to the huge amount of *saved* time afterwards.

best regards,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge