Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:42:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:45:21 +0100 Martin Häcker <mhaecker@mac.com> wrote:
 >| I heard sometimes that the new <http://opengroupware.org/> contains a
 >| pretty good implementation of the WebObjects framework.

I've heard that too.

 >| Is this true?

I've never tried it but AFAIK, currently, it doesn't support WebObjects tags
(it seems to support tags like <#>), .woo nor EOF3 (i.e. gdl2).
Best source for more information/confirmation should be
helge.hess@opengroupware.org

> Does this mean it will merge/replace/be replaced by GSWeb?

Quoting helge.hess, main maintainer of OpenGroupware:
<<
Yet with OGo we now do have a high quality and proven WebObjects clone
and gnustep-web is somewhat obsolete for practical purposes (no offense
intended at all!) Not sure how we should proceed on this front.

<<
And finally gnustep-web/SOPE: this obviously clashes. Gnustep-web from
a functional point of view is mostly a subset of SOPE. And it isn't
nearly as widely tested and optimized as SOPE. It obviously makes no
sense at all to use it as the application server framework in OGo.
The pro argument for GNUstep on gstep-web is the FSF copyright
assignment, though this is irrelevant for users given that SOPE is LGPL
as well.

With some other people, I still work on GNUstepWeb, support it and improve it
because compatibility with
applications based on GNUstepWeb is far from being a reality  (and the
reciprocical may be true), because
I currently don't share some Helge's opinion and for some other few things.

But future is open.

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <mguesdon@oxymium.net>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998