Re: a little further on Darwin

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: a little further on Darwin
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:34:55 -0400

 I'm planning on including a GNUstep bundle (not playing with words)
in the next version of the GNU-Darwin distribution (I hope to have RC1 online by next week).

To be honest, I'm not sure how reasonable this is.

I appreciate your honesty, being reasonable is not my strengh :-)

Those undefined symbols you are getting are a real issue that are probably show stoppers if not resolved.

I will not ship a broken GNUstep anytime though, so you don't need to worry about that

Do the -base tools (defaults/gdomap/autogsdoc) work?

I know at least that defaults, gdomap, gdnc, gpbs, autogsdoc work. I have
also GWorkspace and Gorm running.

Also, are you going to package a static FSF libobjc? Where are the headers installed wrt to Apple runtime headers?

I use gnustep-libobjc-1.3.0, libs in GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and headers in GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc. I add "-L/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -lobjc"
in every build.

Andrew Pinski is currently trying to sort out the parallel installation of the Apple and GNU runtimes on Darwin.

good news

Chances are that with any current versions of GCC that you have issues wrt to finding the correct headers, libraries to link against, libraries to load at runtime,

There may also be certain issues wrt to shared libraries vs. frameworks as the Darwin linker tries to out-smart our simulated frameworks leading to issues at runtime.

I seem have this problem right now with GNUMail and Addresses
(AddressView.framework/AddressView : no such file ...)

I'd offer to help you through compiling the core packages correctly if I had ssh access to a GNU-Darwin box. (I don't have any hardware available here to install it.) But I only have very limited time and we would have to coordinate this privately. But I couldn't hold a deadline of next week.

Thank you very much. I can offer you ssh on darwin-x86. However, next week is not to be seen as a real deadline, just a "hope" to quote myself. I am already receiving plenty of help and I really appreciate it. I think I can still do some work on my own and continue to send issues to the list. I can also delay GNUstep or place it in as an
"optional and experimental" bundle.

yves

PS : can you please translate "wrt"