Re: a little further on Darwin

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: a little further on Darwin
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:52:04 +0200

Yves de Champlain wrote:

Do the -base tools (defaults/gdomap/autogsdoc) work?

I know at least that defaults, gdomap, gdnc, gpbs, autogsdoc work.  I have
also GWorkspace and Gorm running.

Very interesting... even with the missing symbols. I'd really like to investigate.

Also, are you going to package a static FSF libobjc? Where are the headers installed wrt to Apple runtime headers?

I use gnustep-libobjc-1.3.0, libs in GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and headers in GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc. I add "-L/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -lobjc"
in every build.

That sounds good, even though I'm not sure that you should need the -L and -l options as the directory should be in the standard search patch and -lobjc should be added by -make for ObjC projects automatically.

There may also be certain issues wrt to shared libraries vs. frameworks as the Darwin linker tries to out-smart our simulated frameworks leading to issues at runtime.

I seem have this problem right now with GNUMail and Addresses
(AddressView.framework/AddressView : no such file ...)

Yes, this is the result of the Darwin linker trying to out smart our framework hacks on non-apple-apple-apple configurations. There was a workaround discussed that will be included in the upcoming -base release. You can either wait on that or set LD_FRAMEWORK_PATH manually to the Framework directories.

I'd offer to help you through compiling the core packages correctly if I had ssh access to a GNU-Darwin box. (I don't have any hardware available here to install it.) But I only have very limited time and we would have to coordinate this privately. But I couldn't hold a deadline of next week.

Thank you very much. I can offer you ssh on darwin-x86. However, next week is not to be seen as a real deadline, just a "hope" to quote myself. I am already receiving plenty of help and I really appreciate it. I think I can still do some work on my own and continue to send issues to the list. I can also delay GNUstep or place it in as an
"optional and experimental" bundle.

Well then, my offer stands. Feel free to contact me privately with the connection information.

PS : can you please translate "wrt"

with respect to ;-)

Cheers,
David