Re: GNUstep Release Cycle

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: GNUstep Release Cycle
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:51:08 +0200

Hey,

On Thursday, July 29, 2004, at 06:09 PM, Alex Perez wrote:

When will the next release of GNUstep be made? In my opinion, when
sufficient things have broken in -Base and -GUI in CVS that it warrants a
new release of an application such as Addresses, this is a clear
indication that we should probably have already released something.
Numerous somewhat-significant changes have been made recently (amongst
them a bump to the GSNibVersion which /may/ cause problems with new nib
files on old versions of GNUstep.

You always try to over-rush things, don't you?

I'd wait for a next release when the patch that David Ayers has for making Risc processor work fine again gets committed and binary compatibility could possibly be preserved. This patch is essential to avoid signature errors on every processor that relies on registers to pass function/method parameters (that is every decently modern processor architecture). On some cpu's (like hp-pa) this cause seg-fault, on some others just errors/warnings. I'd wait so that things stabilize and if binary compatibility cannot be preserved at least the break happens with a release and not the day after, making development a pain as always.

I'd be also very happy if the now (in)famous NSImage resize bug can get solved in time for a release.

I'd prefer few but "good" releases because for people that work with libraries in a distribution and don't track CVS, changes can cause a major pain for the user or a blocker for the releaser (like gentoo, which supports hppa, that can't run on it).

Release often, release early is a thing that only people like Linus can believe in. I think that we should release regularly, but only if no big bugs are pending and big changes are not on the radar screen.

Some projects, like dillo, use a count-down mechanism: features are freezed and it is said that the version will be released if no new bugs are found, if one is found, it must get fixed and the counter starts again. This works quite well.

-Riccardo