Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:07:08 +0200

Le 6 août 04, à 06:00, Adam Fedor a écrit :

RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to compile an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep would interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects (windows, etc).

This would be interesting as it could potentially open up a whole set of Linux apps to run on GNUstep. THe downside is it would probably be a lot of effort. I don't have time, so could someone volunteer to look at whether this might be feasible or not?

I don't see a real interest with such idea when I consider the incredible effort which would need to be invested in such project and then wouldn't be invested in GNUstep itself and other more important related projects. To take an example : lot of things are still to be done to be as compatible as possible with Cocoa…

Probably the FreeDesktop idea looks more realistic and promising way to try to integrate desktop environments than the RMS idea which would translate in the GNOME/KDE case by "create GTK+ bindings for QT and QT bindings for GTK+" (that's an example) which seems a bit stupid when considered attentively.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr