Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:53:38 -0400

On Aug 6, 2004, at 2:07 PM, Quentin Mathé wrote:

Le 6 août 04, à 06:00, Adam Fedor a écrit :

RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to compile an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep would interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects (windows, etc).

This would be interesting as it could potentially open up a whole set of Linux apps to run on GNUstep. THe downside is it would probably be a lot of effort. I don't have time, so could someone volunteer to look at whether this might be feasible or not?

I don't see a real interest with such idea when I consider the incredible effort which would need to be invested in such project and then wouldn't be invested in GNUstep itself and other more important related projects.

True, it would be a major effort, but certainly less effort than porting various applications individually. For instance, someone recently mentioned wanting a version of emacs on a hypothetical gnustep distribution.

One needs to ask, though, what would be the benefits of having GTK applications in GNUstep, whether ported manually or via a GTK layer? If it is just having apps have the GNUstep look and feel, the same could be mostly accomplished more easily through the GTK themes mechanism. If it is being able to launch apps via GNUstep facilities, we have the (somewhat maligned of late ;) app wrappers. If it is services or other distributed objects-based capabilities, there might again be easier alternative means of accomplishing this, e.g., by writing some kind of GNUstep-GTK intermediary that talks DO on the one side and Gnome-CORBA on the other, and makes service building a simple matter of specifying a mapping in a property list. (How to add a Services menu to a GTK app might be a trickier issue..)

In short, it seems like a little bit of intelligent effort could bring integration nearly as far as a brute-force GTK layer approach, and would leave more time for improving GNUstep to the point where people would rather develop with it than GTK or QT.

Adrian