Re: Printing Postscript Data

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: Printing Postscript Data
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:09:04 -1000

Actually, I rethought this. This would be fine if all you wanted to do is send the .ps file to the printer. But you should honor the NSPrintInfo stuff as well. The user may want to configure the print job in all sorts of ways:
print out a range of pages,
print out n-page per page
print duplex
scaling, etc etc.

Call you take these NSPrintInfo variables and translate them for xpdf so that it will give you the .ps code that will result in the printout the user expects? How will you prevent NSPrintPanel from going through with it's NSPrintOperation? You could use categories to change behaviors of these NSPrint* stuff, but you're taking a chance that it may not work later on down the road.

On another note,
Have you considered not using xpdf and writing PDFKit in straight AppKit? That way, rather than relying on xpdf making those images, your NSView can draw the stuff just like "normal".

Since xpdf is GPL, you could structure the framework of this hypothetical pure GNUstep PDFKIt based on how xpdf is.

Chad