Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:24:47 +0100 (BST)

> > GNUstep1 and one inside GNUstep2.  GNUstep.sh will load the paths from
> > GNUsteprc instead of having them hardcoded into GNustep.sh itself.
> > GNustep.sh will look for a local GNUsteprc before the system /etc one.
> > When you install gnustep-make it will only install a single GNusteprc
> > either in /etc or in the local GNUstep installation dir.  That's all an
> > implementation detail though.  It will set the env variable needed by
> > gnustep-base to detect the GNUsteprc located in the non-standard
> > location.
> > It will set the GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES variable which is the only variable
> > needed to execute the makefiles if you are compiling.  It will also set
> > PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, CLASSPATH, etc.
> >
> > But how that works is quite an implementation detail -- why do you care
> > how it works internally?
>
> The more complex it is internally, the more bugs it has, the more
> likely it is to get in my way...

Thanks -- I wouldn't think the new solution is particularly more complex
than what we have now.  I would even claim it's simpler, but until it's
done I wouldn't cast the judgement in stone. :-)

... but it would definitely be a lot more likely to work out of the box.
The potential for problems in the normal situations should be enormously
reduced.  That's one of the reasons to do the change -- to make setting up
and running GNUstep a more reliable process.

> I cannot see one single reason that installation of GNUstep libs into
> /usr/lib would be a good thing, or even desirable in any way.

Ok - well there is no reason you have to install them there if you don't
want to.  The default will still be to have GNUstep's own separate
domains, /usr/GNUstep/System, /usr/GNUstep/Local, etc.  So there is no
change there.

It's just that some people will be able to configure things differently.
Talk to them if you want to convince them otherwise.  I'm just accepting
that different people are using it differently and trying to make sure we
support both groups.  Since it seems there is a way to do it nicely, I'd
like to do it.

> Unless I am missing something very big here, it looks like the only
> people who want this are people who are fundamentally opposed to some of
> the basic ideas of OpenStep/GNUstep.

Sure -- they are looking for "native integration" which is somewhat
fundamentally opposed to an original goal of building a "better, separate
system" -- see my original post.

Both styles/philosophies will be supported.  Just ignore the other
style/philosophy when you configure and install your system if you don't
like it.

If you find any bugs, we'll fix them.

Thanks