Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:34:21 +0200

John Davidorff Pell wrote:
On 19 Aug 2004, at 02:24, Nicola Pero wrote:

Unless I am missing something very big here, it looks like the only
people who want this are people who are fundamentally opposed to some of
the basic ideas of OpenStep/GNUstep.

Sure -- they are looking for "native integration" which is somewhat
fundamentally opposed to an original goal of building a "better, separate
system" -- see my original post.

Both styles/philosophies will be supported.  Just ignore the other
style/philosophy when you configure and install your system if you don't
like it.

Ok, I understand why you want to do this, but I do not understand why you think that these desires are valid and worth accepting into the code base. Building it the way you these people would suggest takes everything that makes GNUstep unique and throws it away. All that is left is a drawing kit and some interesting library functions in a different language.

I do not think that both should be supported. Supporting something so opposed to one of our basic design philosophies can only lead to unneeded complexity. By allowing for this, you are required to use hacks like this /etc/GNUsteprc that we're talking about. If we do not support this bad idea, then most of its functionality can be ditched as the libraries and tools can manage most of it (through relative paths) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES take care of the rest.

On a separate note: if you have multiple systems installed, then you cannot have /etc/GNUsteprc because system 2 will overwrite system 1's rc file. If you install it on /GNUstep1 then you should know to use /GNUstep1/System/Library/GNUsteprc.

Following the threat I must say that I think that John is right. We might risk that distro's install GNUstep the Un*x way and not as an environment. Which might result in a slow process of moving away from a great system to a normal toolkit.

I still like the fact that GNUstep.sh will be removed. We have all seen too many question answered by "source GNUstep.sh".

Maybe we should indeed keep GNUstep-make simple. You'll have the tree that consistes of System, Local, Network and those are relocateable during configure to / or /usr/GNUstep or whatever. But I think we shouldn't touch the rest of the tree. If people feel that the libs from Library/Libraries should live in /usr/lib... use GNOME or KDE ;)

Just a couple of cents.

Dennis

--
You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.
                        --- Sam Levenson