Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:58:11 +0800

On 2004-08-19 18:33:00 +0800 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

By allowing for this, you are required to use hacks like this
/etc/GNUsteprc

That's not a hack. That's a native configuration file describing the GNUstep layout and setup on that machine. You use that file to locate
where GNUstep is and how is setup on the machine.

I agree. Its an "interface" or "binding" of some sort to the underlying system. Unix in this case. Then another convention will be needed for windows. In a "native" system like the one im building this should not be needed.

If we do not support this bad idea, then most of its functionality can be ditched as the libraries and tools can manage most of it (through relative paths) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES take care of
the rest.

I don't think so. How will gnustep-base find the location of the local domain ? It must be hardcoded somewhere, right ? So why not in a readable/editable text-file so you can both view what hardcoded value is in there, and even edit it if you want ? And here you have GNUsteprc. :-)

As long as the fs domain structure is intact then its fine with me.

On a separate note: if you have multiple systems installed, then you cannot have /etc/GNUsteprc because system 2 will overwrite system 1's rc file. If you install it on /GNUstep1 then you should know to use /GNUstep1/System/Library/GNUsteprc.

We already discussed this -- it will be supported, but you have to use a configure switch if you are installing multiple systems to tell it to place the GNUsteprc for each system somewhere else (in that system's root
directory).

This one I just dont inderstand. This can potentially lead to GNUstep turning into Openstep lobotomised. As long as it does not alter the fs domain heirarchy thats ok.

Its just a way to specify the contents of the search lists in GNUstep's low level filesystem handling.