Re: using dmg files (fwd)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: using dmg files (fwd)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:38:18 +0100

On 24 Sep 2004, at 09:32, stefan@agentfarms.net wrote:

Citát Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu>:

Rogelio Serrano wrote:

I wonder why apple uses that format. Can we do something
similar like using iso or cramfs format instead? So we can loop mount the
image then drag and drop to the Apps directory or wherever?

we could but there's no point

Why not? If gworkspace handled 'mounting' or something analogous to mounting of such 'package' files transparently, then it will make download and installation
much easier. no third application for opening the package, it is opened
directly in GW.

I'm not sure that there is anything to be gained by avoiding gnutar ... and if there was, GW could open an archive directly using standard libraries for gzip/archive access. I think it's desirable to have GW able to open archives anyway since other non-gnustep
code comes as .tar.gz (and other archive formats).

and AFAIK, ISO (or similar 'packages') can be randomly accessed
faster than .tar.gz.

IIRC a tar archive has a table of contents at the start, allowing for rapid access. However, I don't think speed of random access to parts of an uninstalled application is an issue.