Re: using dmg files (fwd)

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: using dmg files (fwd)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:02:58 +0200

In article <mailman.3872.1096019893.1998.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> A .tar.gz file requires you to fiddle with the command line. Something
> John Doe's grandma and even the average computer user isn't very savy
> on.

 Uh... couldn't that be solved by simply providing a GUI around gnutar?
Or even better, why not just integrate it with GWorkspace? Surely it
wouldn't be too hard to allow unpacking an archive?

 I have Cocoa source code that uses NSTask to call upon gnutar to
uncompress and unpack files. I can contribute that if you want.

 I personally don't like disk images too much. They're simply the only
compression and packing method that shipped with MacOS X 10.0 and didn't
swallow Mac resource forks or require command-line access (StuffIt
wasn't ready). 10.2 introduced support for .zip archives in the Finder,
BTW. That's a much better approach, IMHO.

Just my opinion,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de