Re: GNUstep on Debian PowerPC

From: Wolfgang Sourdeau
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Debian PowerPC
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:57:48 -0400

La plume légère, vers Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:08:10PM -0400, heure
d'inspiration,
Adrian Robert écrivait en ces mots:
> However it sounds like there might be an actual problem with the
> dependency requirements of the GNUstep packages.. you might try
> emailing the maintainer about it.

It's not a real good thing to do. He's better filling a bug report with
the "reportbug" utility or by sending a message to
submit@bugs.debian.org.

Bugs like that are unfortunately very common. Either because not all of
the packages in unstable and their dependencies passes into testing,
either because some maintainers are relying on the bleeding f***in' edge
versions in experimental/, uploading to unstable packages depending on ones
that are in experimental, which is a real bug that maintainers HAVE TO
take care about.

In either case, which both cover 95% of the problems, it's the
maintainers responsibility and reporting a bug report may only let them
face their errors. Also, having a bug report about a problem
officializes the problem and let other maintainers to the job if needed
(with a non-maintainer upload).

> > And one more question: Do the debug frameworks and dev headers include
> >things like Gorm and Project Center? If not, where can I get them?
>
> I think these are packages available for separate install.  (Silly,
> yes.)

No, it's not silly. There is a gnustep-dev metapackage that depends on all
of this I think. Having separate packages covering different purposes is
the right thing to do in my opinion. Debian has that feature and I like
it.

Wolfgang