Re: GNUstep on Debian PowerPC

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Debian PowerPC
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:26:12 -0400

I think these are packages available for separate install.  (Silly,
yes.)

No, it's not silly. There is a gnustep-dev metapackage that depends on all of this I think. Having separate packages covering different purposes is
the right thing to do in my opinion. Debian has that feature and I like
it.

I agree that having separate be available is nice in cases for some users (not to mention invaluable for update tracking), but probably most users would rather just install a user and developer metapackage and be done with it. If this CAN be done with GNUstep, it is news to me and seemingly to others as well, and there ought to be some better publicity of it. One possibility would be to have each individual package mention that it is part of a metapackage in its description field. Another would be to add a sentence or two to the "Debian" section of http://gnustep.org/resources/sources.html .