Re: Font constants

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Font constants
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:24:37 +0100

Jesse Ross wrote:

Perhaps someone can easily answer this question for me. Do we have font constants, similar to Mac OS X? As I'm doing a new UI theme, I want to make sure I'm using fonts at the appropriate sizes (I know, I know, Alex, 12pt Bitstream Vera Sans) in the right places. Here is Apple's HIG on the issue:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/ OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGText/chapter_4_section_2.html

Any info or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

As you can see from the document you pointed to, the constants are for Carbon only, which we don't support of course. In Cocoa, and therefore in GNUstep, the methods from the last column should be used. Here a small error must have been made, as some of these methods clearly don't return fonts but font sizes. We currently don't support the systemFontSizeForControlSize: method, although it should be very easy to add. If nobody beats me on that, I will add the method next week. Up to then, you could use the methods smallSystemFontSize and systemFontSize.

Cheers
Fred