Function Keys

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Function Keys
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:26:46 +0100

Jesse Ross writes:
> Does anyone currently maintain an application that makes use of
> function keys (F1 - F12) exclusive of other modifier keys (Alt, Ctrl,
> etc)? I am considering compiling a list of system-wide "reserved" key
> commands, and would like to be able to appropriate those keys for
> system functions for the various GNUstep-derived distros.

Don't fall in the trap of Apple Computer trying to save pennies
mapping normal hardware buttons to function keys.

Computer running GNUstep usually HAVE eject buttons on their CD drives.

Now, function keys should be reserved to the user to bind in each
application to whatever function he chooses.

I've bound functions keys in emacs and in WindowMaker (which are the
two main applications I use where key bindings are customizable).

I'm very unhappy when I cannot use these same bindings on my iBook
because some keys are reserved by the system (not counting the lack of
two more buttons on the mouse which requires two more functions keys
to map middle and right click...).