Re: Function Keys

From: Guylhem Aznar
Subject: Re: Function Keys
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:28:24 -0500

On Sunday, 13 March 2005 at 23:09:43 (-0600), Jesse Ross wrote:
> Does anyone currently maintain an application that makes use of
> function keys (F1 - F12) exclusive of other modifier keys (Alt, Ctrl,
> etc)? I am considering compiling a list of system-wide "reserved" key
> commands, and would like to be able to appropriate those keys for
> system functions for the various GNUstep-derived distros.

This is a very interesting topic - especially regarding modifier and
international keyboards.

Years ago when I worked on afterstep I tried to get in touch with
other window managers developper to unify our defaults shortcut to
some common standard, so that users would not be to disoriented when
using another window manager.

A version is still available on :

The funny part is we concluded like openstep that a dedicated modifier
should be used, to avoid disturbing applications which already use Alt
or Control.

However the proposal failed, for various reasons. I still resent that
very much, which is at least one of the reasons I'd like to work in
your project: maybe some shortcuts could be reserved for the use by
the window manager?

May I participate to your work? It would also be interesting to
provide to developpers an easy to use reference of mandatory shortcuts
(as per Openstep standard) which are not always implemented while they
should! Maybe it could somehow be integrated in Gorm (a "check
shortcuts" feature?)

--
Bien à vous - Best regards,
Guylhem P. Aznar