Media Keys

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Media Keys
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:49:25 -0800

Guylhem Aznar wrote:
On Monday, 14 March 2005 at 11:43:58 (-0600), Jesse Ross wrote:

May I participate to your work? It would also be interesting to
provide to developpers an easy to use reference of mandatory shortcuts
(as per Openstep standard) which are not always implemented while they
should! Maybe it could somehow be integrated in Gorm (a "check
shortcuts" feature?)

Yes -- I'd love to get help and support on this. The OpenStep spec does
already specify certain reserved shortcuts for applications (Alt-N New,
Alt-S Save, etc), as you mentioned.

Yes, however some people may not know about them

What I am envisioning is something akin to the dedicated volume control,
brightness control, Exposé control keys. These would be used as the
default for the distros that ship, but could be customizable/overridable
by the end user, like Exposé is in OS X (those actually ship default off,
which is a good idea).

I see. It could be consistent with the "media" keys provided on most
keyboards, currently used by hotkeys (ex: XF86Play ...)

Yes, and the vast majority of keyboards made in the last three or four years (those of which /have/ media keys) have standardized extended media key scancodes. Not all keyboards have all media keys. I have a Sun Microsystems Type 6 USB keyboard which has volume up, volume down, and mute keys which use the standardized scancodes.