Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:47:10 +0000 (GMT)

> > I've upgraded to GWorkspace 0.7.0 here. I'm struggling with the
> > following problems. Can anyone help?
> >
> > 1. I have to install GWorkspace into /System, rather than my more
> > normal /Local for everything except core and remote mounts. Why?
> > Is GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT hardwired or have I misconfigured? If I
> > try to install into /Local, it can't find its helper Tools and exits.
>
> I've GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT) in all the
> makefiles. And the app looks for its tools only in System. This to avoid
> problems with duplicate elements.

Well ... but then you can no longer install it somewhere else ... it's a
real pity if you can't. :-(

I'd recommend not putting any GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR in makefiles and I
(obviously) think it should look for the tools first in user, then local,
then system.

If you're worried about duplicates, it could detect them and produce a
warning if there are duplicate tools in different locations.

But the fact that you can install gnustep stuff in different places is
really cool, I don't think you want to lose the feature.