Re: Installer UI advices

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:51:14 +0100

Le 15 mars 05, à 03:28, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

At 18:45 Uhr -0600 14.03.2005, Jonathan Isom wrote:

Well on the mac side disk images a more natural. When saved to the desktop its no different than installing from a cd which is the standard for years. it may not be as familar as on windows or linux but would be different and
learning curve on Macs.

The problem is it would be like installing from a CD *without a CD*. Which is confusing. It's like explaining wireless telegraphy by saying: "Telegraphy is like a dog whose tail is in Munich, and whose head is in Tokyo. Pinch it in the tail in Munich and it barks in Tokyo. Wireless telegraphy is the same without the dog."

Nice example :-D Especially when you need to "eject the dog".
Have you ever tried to explain what is a disk image to "normal users", you explain and when you stop, you hear : "Why I need to mount it when it is already visible ? Why it looks a like a disk when it's not ?"… My answer is just : "Hmm I really would like to know but I don't."

I've heard enough complaints about it, and witnessed enough silent suffering. That's why Apple now has so-called "internet-enabled" disk images, which mount themselves, copy their contents to the hard disk, unmount themselves and then delete the image.

Yep, it is an horrible hack, this behavior could probably be implemented in similar way with other archive format without the ugly disk image semantic. Encryption, integrity check, license check, burn like a disk etc. makes real differences however but not sufficient to use disk image every time. Well to present disk image like an archive and "to mount" it under a folder look, is probably possible to implement and would correct the "dog telegraphy" issue.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr