Re: Installer UI advices

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:26:34 +0100

On 2005-03-16 15:50:10 +0000 M. Uli Kusterer <Witness.of.TeachText@gmx.net> wrote:

At 10:27 Uhr +0100 16.03.2005, Benoit wrote:
It's far more easy to unmount the disk image than to erase a decompressed archive.

Not really. On MacOS, you just drag both to the trash.

Well, using a DMG you need to drag one file, using an archive you would need to trash the archive and the decompressed contents of it. This could be avoided with some support for archives at the desktop level though, as you said previously.

(...)
Also, most developers on MacOS X themselves take care to wrap the files in a folder before compressing them. I agree that this isn't possible with disk images simply because a disk by itself is like a directory. But if I was asked to fix this or explain to non-programmers what a disk image is, I would choose the former.

As far as I can tell everything that the DMG does can be done by a tar.gz, given appropriate support at the desktop level.

Even so DMG can be easily done in Unix (or most of them)... an ISO image can be mounted (at least GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris...) as a device. If compression is a factor I don't know but suspect that gziping the ISO would work.

If this would be an imporvement over archives is open to discussion (and I must agree with you that I don't think that, again given appropriate support, DMG's hold any advantage over archives), but the concept itself is doable.

Best Regards,

fsmunoz