Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:27:50 +0200

ml@orange-concept.com wrote on 29.03.2005 16:53:02:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:00:25 -0300 Pablo Di Noto
> <pdinoto@conectividad.com.ar> wrote:
> >| Slashdot published today an link to an interview to Jonathan 'The
Wolf'
> >| Rentzsch, a well-know MacOS programmer in a MacOS weblog:
> >| http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000513.html
> >|
> >| Beware, it _is_ long. It addresses subjects like WebObjects, how it
is
> >| still superior to new technologies, its move from Objective-C to
Java,

http://www.wodeveloper.com/omniLists/webobjects-dev/2001/June/msg00513.html

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/webobjects-dev/2002-May/023888.html

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/webobjects-dev/2002-May/024026.html

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/webobjects-talk/2002-May/002175.html

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/webobjects-talk/2002-May/002177.html

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/webobjects-talk/2002-June/002346.html

> Even Jonathan 'Wolf' Rentzsch seems to have heard about gsweb:
> http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2004/5/29/108407
>
> May be we didn't advertised enough GNUstep/GNUstepWeb/..., may be WO
> is used mostly used by important companies wich prefer proprietary
> softwares or Java things, may be there less open source Mac
> developpers, may be many Mac developpers don't consider projects
> without GUI, may be they prefer to stay in Apple World...

I talked to some Cocoa/WO devs at the last Wocoa Pow Wow (
http://www.wocoa.org/ ) and I realized that GS/GSWeb is not unknown but
considered incomplete, some say bugridden and to others it appeared slow
paced / suffering lack of direction and/or discipline. The mostly coined
example here was that although GNUstep GUI is still missing some important
classes/methods it already has 3+ backends, some of them even for
graphical libraries which are beta at best itself. To outsiders the whole
project appears to be more a hobbyist thing (which goes nowhere) than a
real professional approach on which one can build a business solution and
the like since only those things which people like to do get done.
Most of those devs are developing for their living and while being willing
to fix a small bug here and there most of them don't want to put "manmonth
of work" into this project.