Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:18:30 +0200

On Mar 30, 2005, at 18:28, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
Then I recommend to fix it wrt Apple X11, I'm pretty sure this kind of setup is very common for Apple guys trying to evaluate GNUstep. In the same run Windows X11 servers like Exceed should be checked. Same reason (I very well remember having reported Exceed issues some 6 or 7 years ago ...).
... I've accessed GNUstep apps from an OS X desktop whilst using -back
Xlib -- Art always caues issues for me remotely.  Is this, maybe,
what's happening to you?  You probably have tried this though ...

Maybe, I have no idea. I don't care about backends, I care about applications. Installed one (which was easy) and it doesn't work.
That is exactly what leads to bad user reviews.

BTW: I have to adjust my Debian "ease of use" report. Just tried at a different machine and applications don't even start:
---snip---
/usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/ProjectCenter.app/ProjectCenter: relocation error: /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/./ libgnustep-back: undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_Lookup_Size
---snap---
Maybe easy to work around for a core GNUstep developer knowing all the details, unsolvable for me who just wants to check out Gorm and ProjectCenter.

Call me an idiot, but GNUstep is the first Debian package I've ever seen with linking errors. Just tried the competition: "apt-get install qt3-designer". Works without flaws (well it works like it is supposed to, it certainly has flaws ;-).

Honestly, you need to fix/add packaging to get better reviews. Unfortunately this is a _lot_ of boring work.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/