Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:58:51 +0000

On 2005-10-07 06:40:21 +0000 Roman Belenov <rbelenov@yandex.ru> wrote:

Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> writes:

Is there a fallback for applications that don't explicitly observe  this
notification (like passing terminate: to NSApplication instance) ?

Since about any Mac OS X app bases on NSApplication and NSApplication handles
this, there's no need for a fallback mechanism.

Do you mean that NSApplication observes NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification
internally ? That doesn't seems reasonable (it would rely on notification
processing order in current implementation, since reference manual mentions
that it is undefined); anyway, is there some documentation confirming this ?

I think he probably either misunderstood your question ... this thread is quite confusing.

To clarify ...

1. In GNUstep there is no mechanism for a session manager to shut down an application, but there *IS* a mechanism for a session manager to send an NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification to all applications. 2. In MacOS-X, there is some *undocumented* mechanism for a session-manager to shut down applications. 3. In both cases, the actual graceful shutdown should result in delivery of an NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification within the application, followed by a -terminate message to the NSApp instance (which in turn sends a message to the application delegate so that it can clean up).

I think we should provide a (documented) mechanism to shut down an application for GNUstep. This should probably be some message that the application will respond to like -powerOff, which will send a local NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification within the receiving application and then call [NSApp terminate].