Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:02:45 -0400

On Oct 8, 2005, at 2:42 AM, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:

Quoting Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>:

On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Sa&#65533;o Kiselkov wrote:

Let's just stop putting up theories about how it may or may not
work on OSX and
instead start designing a way that would work for us.

I think we should try to follow OS X behavior to make things easier
for people porting or maintaining cross-platform apps unless there's
something broken in the way OS X does it.  Questions can be settled
easily by running some test code on an OS X box.  I don't have time
to write a test class right now but if someone sends me one I can
compile it and try it out on Panther and Tiger and post the results
here.

Why bother following the _internal_workings_ of OSX? The important features,
namely the external interface that apps see (that is, that
-applicationShouldTerminate: gets invoked before the poweroff occurs and the return value correctly controls poweroff) and which users expect (correct behavior of the workspace when the app is controlling poweroff) is already in the implementation I proposed. My point is: my implementation _DOES_ follow the
correct OSX app behavior (which in simple terms means "override
-applicationShouldTerminate: and you can decide about poweroff with it"), but I didn't bother trying to disassemble and backtrace every step OSX made about how to implement the feature, and thus a _dirty_ implementation that relies on bugs
in OSX might (will) not work on GNUstep.

I apologize, I misunderstood the intent of your proposal. Now that I look more closely at your code, I see what I missed (in an admittedly rushed glance-over) before -- the GS extension methods you mentioned are fully behind the scenes, not something app writers have to code specifically to. My bad.

Anyway, it looks good to me.. If you develop this into a patch and write some test code, I'll be happy to try it on OS X and GNUstep to see if behavior (from the app's perspective) is the same..